Juicy air fryer chicken sausage is paired with sweet potatoes and roasted vegetables for a vibrant, colorful, flavorful dinner that cooks in just 20 minutes. It's an easy weeknight dinner you'll want seconds of!
This air fryer chicken sausage dinner is a staple weeknight dinner for me. It's easy, healthy, and so, so delicious. I love the bold, bright colors of all the veggies mixed together, paired with my favorite chicken sausage that cooks up so juicy in the air fryer, and finished off with a simple seasoning blend to tie it all together.
You only need 5 main ingredients, plus, the best part is that, just like my air fryer orange chicken, it cooks in just 20 minutes! Making it a perfect dinner for busy college students, working adults, or parents with little kids.
Be sure to also check out this air fryer Italian sausage recipe for an even quicker dinner.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS 20 MINUTE DINNER
- It's vibrant, colorful, and full of veggies
- Chicken sausage is a healthy, lean protein
- You only need 5 main ingredients
- It cooks in 20 minutes
- Easy dinner for busy adults
- Makes GREAT leftovers
WHY COOK CHICKEN SAUSAGE IN THE AIR FRYER?
You should definitely cook chicken sausage in the air fryer because it comes out so juicy and amazing! It's also a quick, easy dinner that cooks in just 20 minutes, making it a great dinner for busy working adults, or mom's with little kids. This easy dinner also makes great leftovers, that you can quickly reheat for lunch or another dinner.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR AN AIR FRYER CHICKEN SAUSAGE DINNER
- Chicken Sausage: I found that pre-cooked sausage is the best for this dinner. Raw sausage has an inconvenient cooking time that makes this dinner more difficult to make
- Sweet Potatoes: These add color and carbs that will energize you and keep you satisfied. (plus they're DELICIOUS)
- Broccoli: My go-to air fryer veggie, it get's so crispy
- Bell Peppers: I use red, but orange, yellow, or green also work
- Red Onion: This adds more color, but yellow or white onions will also cook well
- Olive Oil: You could also use avocado oil
- Spices: Salt, pepper, paprika, and Italian seasonings. Keep it simple so the veggies can shine
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN SAUSAGE AND VEGETABLES IN THE AIR FRYER
- Start by chopping sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes, place them into a bowl, drizzle with of olive oil, and stir them around.
- Place the potatoes into your air fryer basket and set the temperature to 390 degrees f. Cook for 10 minutes
- While the potatoes are cookies, chop up your other vegetables and sausage. Cut bell peppers into 1 inch squares, chop broccoli into small florets, cut red onion into small chunks, and slice chicken sausage into ¼ inch thick coins. Place them all into a large bowl
- After the potatoes have cooked add them into the large bowl of veggies and sausage. Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, and Italian seasonings. Use a wooden spoon to stir everything around and make sure it's all coated.
- Dump the sausage and veggies into your air fryer basket and cook at 390 f for 10 minutes, shaking halfway through.
- Serve and enjoy!
This has so much flavor as is, but would be delicious drizzled with lemon garlic tahini sauce or a splash of buffalo sauce. You could also skip the sweet potatoes and serve the sausage and veggies over cauliflower rice for a lower carb option.
WHAT KIND OF CHICKEN SAUSAGE SHOULD I USE?
Here's a few of my favorite brands to use that are accessible and affordable!
- Applegate Farms
- Gilbert's Craft Sausage
- Trader Joe's
CAN I COOK THIS IN THE OVEN INSTEAD?
Absolutely, much like my sheet pan chicken sausage and veggies, on a parchment lined baking sheet you'll want to cook the potatoes with a little olive oil first at 400 degrees f for 20 minutes, add the seasoned veggies and chicken sausage to the pan and cook for another 25-30 minutes. You want the vegetables and potatoes to be soft and fully cooked.
- Read the entire recipe first
- I cook mine in a Cosori 5.8 Quart Air Fryer
- Substitute the sweet potatoes with regular potatoes
- You can use frozen broccoli
- Reheat in the air fryer at 350 degrees f for 6-9 minutes
- Leftovers will be good for up to 1 week
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How long do chicken sausages take in the air fryer? Pre-cooked sausages take 8-10 minutes at 390 degrees, raw chicken sausage will cook at 400 degrees f for 11-13 minutes.
- What is the best way to store leftovers? Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- How do you cook raw chicken sausage? Keep whole, and cook at 400 degrees for 11-13 minutes. The internal temperature should reach 160 degrees f, use a meat thermometer if you're nervous.
- What is the best way to reheat this dinner? Reheat it on the stove in a pan with a lid. Cook over medium-low heat for 6-8 minutes, or until it's hot.
Did you make this air fryer chicken sausage with potatoes and veggies? If you did, I would greatly appreciate you leaving a comment and star rating down below. In addition, follow me on Instagram @coleinthekitchen and tag me if you make this or any other of my easy recipes.Print
Air Fryer Chicken Sausage with Potatoes and Veggies
Juicy air fryer chicken sausage is paired with sweet potatoes and roasted vegetables for a vibrant, colorful, flavorful dinner that cooks in just 20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- 2 Medium Size Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Red or Orange Bell Pepper
- 2 cups Chopped Broccoli
- 1 Red Onion
- 4 Pre-cooked Chicken Sausages (I used Italian Style)
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil - divided
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasonings
- Use a sharp knife to chop the sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Place the cubes into a large bowl and drizzle over 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Stir the potatoes around to coat them.
- Put the oiled sweet potatoes into the basket of the air fryer and set the temperature to 390 degrees f. Cook for 10 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, use a sharp knife to cut the bell pepper into 1 inch squares, cut the broccoli off the head into small florets, and cut the onion into ½ inch chunks. Put all the veggies into the large bowl that the potatoes were in.
- Slice the chicken sausage into ¼ inch thick coins and put them into the bowl with the cut vegetables.
- Once the sweet potatoes have cooked for 10 minutes, take the basket out and dump the potatoes into the large bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Pour over 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the salt, paprika, and Italian seasonings.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix everything together and make sure they're all coated in spices and oil.
- Dump all the vegetables and chicken sausage into the basket of the air fryer and cook again at 390 degrees f for 10 minutes. Make sure to shake halfway through to ensure everything gets evenly cooked.
- Take the basket out, serve, and enjoy!
- I use a 5.8 Quart air fryer
- Cooking time listed is for pre-cooked chicken sausage
- Substitute the sweet potatoes for regular potatoes
- You can use frozen broccoli
- Adjust seasoning to your taste
- Shake halfway through the final 10 minutes to evenly cook everything
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week
Keywords: chicken sausage in air fryer, chicken sausage with potatoes, air fryer chicken sausage and vegetables