Soft Whole Wheat Healthy Cinnamon Rolls
Don't let "healthy cinnamon rolls" scare you off, these just might be the best cinnamon rolls you've ever had! They're soft, fluffy, and completely refined sugar free! Have a bit of patience and you'll end up with an unforgettable treat everyone will LOVE.
- Author: Nicole Radcliffe
- Prep Time: 2 Hours
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 Servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Instant Dry Yeast
- 1 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon Coconut Sugar
- 4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 5 Tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten
- 2 Eggs
- 8 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Sugar Free Powdered Sugar
- Start by proofing your yeast. Heat almond milk up in a small pot over low heat and pull it off when it begins to steam. Pour the warm almond milk into a tall glass with 1 Tablespoon of coconut sugar and stir together.
- Check the temperature of the almond milk, you can test it with your finger or with a thermometer. When the temperature is between 110-115 degrees F, sprinkle the yeast over the top and stir it in. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes to proof, the yeast should turn foamy and rise
- While the yeast is proofing, mix together the other dough ingredients. In a large bowl combine whole wheat flour, vital wheat gluten, 1/4 cup coconut sugar, eggs, 4 Tablespoons of melted butter, salt and 1/2 a vanilla bean. Use a wooden spoon or your hands to mix these ingredients together until a sandy, shaggy dough is formed.
- Once yeast is proofed, pour it over the dry dough ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to mix them together, and then dump the dough out onto your counter top.
- Use your hands to knead the cinnamon roll dough for 3-4 minutes. You should have a slightly tacky dough, but it shouldn't be sticky. If too sticky add 1-2 tablespoons more of whole wheat flour.
- After dough is smooth, tacky, and kneaded, place it into a large oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel. Allow dough to rest in a warm spot for about an hour, or until dough has doubled in size.
- Once dough has risen and doubled, dump it out onto your counter and roll it into a rectangle that is 1/4 inch thick.
- Stir together 1 Cup of coconut sugar, cinnamon, 4 Tablespoons melted butter, and 2 Tablespoons almond milk to make the filling. Use an offset spatula to spread filling evenly over the rectangle of dough, leaving a 1 inch border on the top of the long edge
- Starting on the long side, roll up the dough into a log and pinch the end together to seal in all the goodness
- I like to use floss to make smooth cuts- cut the cinnamon roll log into 8-12 cinnamon rolls (depending on the size you like). Use a 9x11 inch pan if making 8 rolls- or a 9x13 inch pan if making 12 cinnamon rolls
- Arrange the cut rolls in your pan and place in a warm spot to rise for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, once preheated, place the pan of risen rolls into the oven. Bake 9x11 inch pan of 8 rolls for 18-20 minutes, and bake 9x13 inch pan of 12 rolls for 15-18 minutes
- Take the healthy cinnamon rolls out of the oven once the tops are golden brown and they begin to smell fragrant
- If desired, make the glaze. Whisk together sugar free powdered sugar, 1/2 a vanilla bean, and a splash of almond milk till a smooth, but thick glaze is made. Spread over the warm cinnamon rolls
- These are best eaten hot, so enjoy immediately!
- *calories calculated are an estimate and based on ingredients used and 12 servings*
- Test yeast before using it in the dough
- Don't add too much flour
- Be patient with the rising times and don't rush them
- Use floss to cut the raw cinnamon roll for smooth, even cuts
- Be sure to do the second rise!
- Store baked cinnamon rolls covered with a double layer of plastic wrap and a layer of aluminum foil at room temperature for 2-3 days
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories: 315
Keywords: healthy cinnamon rolls, whole wheat cinnamon rolls, soft and fluffy cinnamon rolls, sugar free cinnamon rolls